Tooth Colored Fillings in Middlebury, IN
At Goshen Dentist, we're proud to offer state-of-the-art dental services that meet the needs of our local community. While our primary location isn't in Middlebury, IN, we're dedicated to extending our services to residents of the town and surrounding areas. One of our most sought-after treatments is tooth-colored fillings, a modern solution for treating cavities with an aesthetic touch.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings, also known as composite fillings, are dental restorations made from a resin material that mimics the natural appearance of teeth. Unlike traditional metal fillings, these are designed to blend seamlessly with your natural tooth structure, providing a discreet solution to cavities and minor tooth damages.
Advantages of Choosing Tooth-Colored Fillings
- Aesthetically Pleasing: The primary advantage of tooth-colored fillings is that they blend seamlessly with the natural shade of your teeth.
- Mercury-Free: Unlike amalgam fillings, tooth-colored fillings do not contain mercury, which some patients prefer to avoid.
- Durability: Modern composite materials are durable and can withstand the forces of biting and chewing effectively.
- Less Tooth Removal: Typically, less natural tooth structure needs to be removed when preparing for a composite filling compared to an amalgam one.
Tooth Colored Fillings Vs. Traditional Silver Fillings
Traditional silver fillings, also known as amalgam fillings, have been used in dentistry for over a century. While they are durable and cost-effective, they have certain downsides:
- Appearance: Silver fillings are noticeable and can darken over time.
- Expansion and Contraction: Amalgam can expand and contract with temperature changes, which might lead to tooth cracks.
- Mercury Content: Concerns about the mercury content in amalgam fillings have led many to seek alternatives.
- Tooth-colored fillings, on the other hand, offer a more natural look and don't come with the potential risks associated with mercury.
The Procedure for Placing Tooth-Colored Fillings in Middlebury, IN
- Tooth Preparation: Dr. Deana Fugate, DMD will begin by removing decay and preparing the tooth.
- Application: The composite material is applied in layers, with each layer being cured (hardened) using a special light.
- Shaping: Once the cavity is filled, the filling is shaped to match the natural contours of the tooth.
- Polishing: The filling is polished to prevent premature wear and staining.
Aftercare Tips for Tooth Colored Fillings
- Maintain Good Oral Hygiene: Brush and floss daily to keep the filled tooth clean and free of plaque.
- Avoid Staining Foods and Drinks: Beverages like red wine and coffee can stain the composite material.
- Regular Dental Check-ups: Visit Goshen Dentist regularly to ensure your filling remains in good condition.
Frequently Asked Questions:
With proper care, they can last between 5 to 10 years or even longer.
Yes, over time, some staining can occur, especially if you consume staining foods and beverages. Regular cleanings can help minimize this effect.
Regular dental check-ups are crucial. If there are signs of wear, breakage, or new decay, it may need replacement.
The cost varies depending on the size and location of the filling. For a precise estimate, please contact Goshen Dentist.